Thanks Cindy,

In fact, after some research, I ran into the scrub suggestion and it worked
perfectly. Now I think that the automated message in
http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-8A should mention something about scrub as a
worthy attempt.

It was related to an external usb disk. I guess I am happy it happened now
before I invested in getting a couple of other external disks as mirrors of the
existing one. I guess I am better off installing an extra internal disk.

is this something common on usb disks? would it get improved in later versions
of osol or it is somewhat of an incompatibility/unfriendliness of zfs with
external usb disks?