On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 12:09 PM, Bob Friesenhahn <
bfrie...@simple.dallas.tx.us> wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Nov 2009, Tim Cook wrote:
>

>> Once again I question why you're wasting your time with raid-z.  You might
>> as well just stripe across all the drives.  You're taking a performance
>> penalty for a setup that essentially has 0 redundancy.  You lose a 500gb
>> drive, you lose everything.
>>

> Why do you say that this user will lose everything?  The two
> concatenated/striped devices on the local system are no different than if
> they were concatenated on SAN array and made available as one LUN. If one of
> those two drives fails, then it would have the same effect as if one larger
> drive failed.
>
> Bob

Can I blame it on too many beers?  I was thinking losing half of one drive,
rather than an entire vdev would just cause "weirdness" in the pool, rather
than a clean failure.  I suppose without experimentation there's no way to
really no, in theory though, zfs should be able to handle it.

--Tim