Jozef Hamar wrote:
Darren J Moffat wrote:
Jozef Hamar wrote:
Hi Darren,

thanks for reply.

E.g., I have mail quota implemented as per-directory quota. I know this can be solved in another way, but still, I would have to change many things in my system in order to make it work. And this is quite easy implementation of mail quota. Now I'm using UFS and ufs quota support.

That sounds like you want a quota per user for a given directory.

If that is what you need then ZFS provides for this by making the mail directory a ZFS filesystem then using userquota. That way you
still only have one ZFS filesystem not one per user account.

Agree, creating ZFS per account would solve my problems, but I can't use nfsv4 , nor automounter, so I can't export thousand of filesystems right now.

Or using per userquotas, eg:

# zfs set userqu...@bob=1g rpool/mail
# zfs set userqu...@jane=2g rpool/mail
Yes, this idea is good, but I wanted to prevent this. :-)

In that case instead of rewriting the part of my code which handles quota creation/updating/checking, I would need to completely rewrite the quota logic. :-(

So what do you do just now with UFS ? Is it a separate filesystem for the mail directory ? If so it really shouldn't be that big of a deal to rewrite to run 'zfs set userquota@' instead of updating the UFS quota file.

--
Darren J Moffat