Richard Elling wrote:
On Nov 19, 2009, at 7:39 AM, Mart van Santen wrote:
Hi,

We are using multiple opensolaris 06/09 and solaris 10 servers. Currently we are 'dumping' (incremental)backups to a backup server. I wonder if anybody knows what happens when I send/recv a zfs volume from version 15 to a (backup) system with version 14. I've the feeling it's not very wise to do, but is it doable and what kind of caveats can be expected. Probably we will upgrade the backup system to version 15 sometime soon.

You are referring to the zpool version, not the zfs version.  The latest
zfs version is 4. To see the available zfs versions use, "zfs upgrade -v"

Cindy, this doesn't come up very often, probably because there have
only been 4 zfs versions,  but perhaps it deserves mention in the
"Receiving a ZFS Snapshot" section of the ZFS Admin Guide.

You are right, I'm mixing up zpool and zfs versions. But, in this case I'm backing up/transfering zfs volumes, and if I request version information about a zfs volume, the value for version is empty. Still I have problems with send/recv to an older zpool version, but I don't know of this can be the cause or maybe something else is wrong..

Regards,

Mart

 -- richard

--