I'm persuading a customer that when he goes to S10 he should use ZFS for everything.
We only have one M3000 and a J4200 connected to it. We are not talking about a massive site here with a SAN etc. The M3000 is their "mainframe". His RTO and RPO are both about 12 hours, his business gets difficult without the server but does not die horribly.

He currently uses ufsdump to tape each night which is sent off site. However "ufsrestore -i" has saved is bacon in the past and does not want to loose this "functionality".

A couple of questions.

flar seems to work with ZFS quite well and will backup the whole root pool   flar(1M)

This seems to be the best way to get the equivalent of ufsrestore -r and a great way to recover in a DR event:- http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/content/submitted/flash_archive.jsp

My Questions...

Q: Is there the equivalent of ufsretore -i with flar? (which seems to be an ugly shell script around cpio or pax)

Q: Therefore should I have a tar of the root pool as well?

Q: There is no reason I cannot use flar on the other non root pools?

Q: Or is tar better for the non root pools?

We will have LOTS of disk space, his whole working dataset will easily fit onto an LTO4, so can anybody think of good a reason why you would not flar the root pool into another pool and then just tar off this pool each night to tape? In fact we will have so much disk space (compared to now) I expect we will will be able to keep most backups on-line for quite some time.

Discuss :-)

--
Trevor Pretty | Technical Account Manager | T: +64 9 639 0652 | M: +64 21 666 161
Eagle Technology Group Ltd.

www.eagle.co.nz

This email is confidential and may be legally privileged. If received in error please destroy and immediately notify us.