On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 12:13 PM, Jens Vilstrup <yon...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi there.
>
> I'm looking at moving my home server to ZFS and adding a second for backup
> purposes.
> In the process of researching ZFS I noticed iSCSI.
> I'm thinking of creating a zvol, share it with iSCSI and use it with my
> Mac(s).
> In this scenario, the fs would obviously have to be HFS+.
>
> Now, my question is:
> How would I go about replicating this non-native FS to the backup server?
> Can I have snapshots of the zvol like if it was a native zfs filesystem?
> If yes, do they take up as little space and overhead as "normal" snapshots?
>
> Thanks,
> Jens.

Yes.  Snapshots work at the block level so you can take snapshots regardless
of the FS on top of the iSCSI LUN.  The two caveats are you'll need another
Mac system at your DR to recover, and also to get a guaranteed consistent
snapshot, you'll need to pause all traffic to the LUN while taking the
snapshot.

--
--Tim