On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 8:17 AM, Paul Bruce <p...@cais.com.au> wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm just about to build a ZFS system as a home file server in raidz, but I
> have one question - pre-empting the need to replace one of the drives if it
> ever fails.
> How on earth do you determine the actual physical drive that has failed ?
> I've got the while zpool status thing worked out, but how do I translate
> the c1t0d0, c1t0d1 etc.. to a real physical driver.
> I can just see myself looking at the 6 drives, and thinking "mmmm.....
>  c1t0d1.... i think that's *this* one"...... einee menee minee moe

As suggested at
http://opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?messageID=416264, you can try
viewing the disk serial numbers with cfgadm:

cfgadm -al -s "select=type(disk),cols=ap_id:info"

You may need to power down the system to view the serial numbers
printed on the disks to match them up, but it beats guessing.

Ed Plese