Andrey Kuzmin <andrey.v.kuz...@gmail.com> writes:
> Darren J Moffat wrote:
>> Andrey Kuzmin wrote:
>>> Resilvering has noting to do with sha256: one could resilver long
>>> before dedupe was introduced in zfs.
>>
>> SHA256 isn't just used for dedup it is available as one of the
>> checksum algorithms right back to pool version 1 that integrated in
>> build 27.
>
> 'One of' is the key word. And thanks for code pointers, I'll take a
> look.

I didn't mention sha256 at all :-).  the reasoning is the same no matter
what hash algorithm you're using (fletcher2, fletcher4 or sha256.  dedup
doesn't require sha256 either, you can use fletcher4.

the question was: why does data have to be compressed before it can be
recognised as a duplicate?  it does seem like a waste of CPU, no?  I
attempted to show the downsides to identifying blocks by their
uncompressed hash.  (BTW, it doesn't affect storage efficiency, the same
duplicate blocks will be discovered either way.)

--
Kjetil T. Homme
Redpill Linpro AS - Changing the game