On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 10:57 AM, Stacy Maydew <stacy.may...@sun.com> wrote:
> When I sent one backup set to the filesystem, the usage reported by "zfs
> list" and "zfs get used <my zfs>" are the expected values based on the data
> size.
>
> When I store a second copy, which should dedupe entirely, the zfs commands
> report the doubled used space that would be occupied if dedupe was turned off.

It's how zfs does accounting with dedupe. Even when the blocks are
deduped, they still count toward the size of the volume. It's my
understanding that this is done out of "fairness". If the space used
were split between all duplicates and of the copies were deleted, then
the remaining copy could push the user over quota (or fs past it's
limit, etc.)

> My question is, are the numbers being reported by the zfs command taking into
> account the deduplication, or is there some other way to see how much space
> we're saving.

'zpool list' or 'zpool get dedup ${zpool_name}'

-B

--
Brandon High : bh...@freaks.com
When in doubt, use brute force.