On 21 December, 2009 - Tristan Ball sent me these 4,5K bytes:

> Richard Elling wrote:
> >
> > On Dec 20, 2009, at 12:25 PM, Tristan Ball wrote:
> >
> >> I've got an opensolaris snv_118 machine that does nothing except
> >> serve up NFS and ISCSI.
> >>
> >> The machine has 8G of ram, and I've got an 80G SSD as L2ARC.
> >> The ARC on this machine is currently sitting at around 2G, the kernel
> >> is using around 5G, and I've got about 1G free.
> What I'm trying to find out is is my ARC relatively small because...
>
> 1) ZFS has decided that that's all it needs (the workload is fairly
> random), and that adding more wont gain me anything..
> 2) The system is using so much ram for tracking the L2ARC, that the ARC
> is being shrunk (we've got an 8K record size)
> 3) There's some other memory pressure on the system that I'm not aware
> of that is periodically chewing up then freeing the ram.
> 4) There's some other memory management feature that's insisting on that
> 1G free.

My bet is on #4 ...

http://src.opensolaris.org/source/xref/onnv/onnv-gate/usr/src/uts/common/fs/zfs/arc.c#arc_reclaim_needed

See line 1956 .. I tried some tuning on a pure nfs server (although
s10u8) here, and got it to use a bit more of "the last 1GB" out of 8G..
I think it was swapfs_minfree that I poked with a sharp stick. No idea
if anything else that relies on it could break, but the machine has been
fine for a few weeks here now and using more memory for ARC.. ;)

/Tomas
--
Tomas Ögren, st...@acc.umu.se, http://www.acc.umu.se/~stric/
|- Student at Computing Science, University of Umeå