The best place to start looking at disk-related performance problems is iostat.
Slow disks will show high service times.  There are many options, but I
usually use something like:
        iostat -zxcnPT d 1

Ignore the first line. Look at the service times. They should be below 10ms
for good performance.
 -- richard