On 30 dec 2009, at 22.45, Richard Elling wrote:

> On Dec 30, 2009, at 12:25 PM, Andras Spitzer wrote:
>
>> Richard,
>>
>> That's an interesting question, if it's worth it or not. I guess the
>> question is always who are the targets for ZFS (I assume everyone, though in
>> reality priorities has to set up as the developer resources are limited).
>> For a home office, no doubt thin provisioning is not much of a use, for an
>> enterprise company the numbers might really make a difference if we look at
>> the space used vs space allocated.
>>
>> There are some studies that thin provisioning can reduce physical space used
>> up to 30%, which is huge. (Even though I understands studies are not real
>> life and thin provisioning is not viable in every environment)
>>
>> Btw, I would like to discuss scenarios where though we have over-subscribed
>> pool in the SAN (meaning the overall allocated space to the systems is more
>> than the physical space in the pool) with proper monitoring and proactive
>> physical drive adds we won't let any systems/applications attached to the
>> SAN realize that we have thin devices.
>>
>> Actually that's why I believe configuring thin devices without periodically
>> reclaiming space is just a timebomb, though if you have the option to
>> periodically reclaim space, you can maintain the pool in the SAN in a really
>> efficient way. That's why I found Veritas' Thin Reclamation API as a
>> milestone in the thin device field.
>>
>> Anyway, only future can tell if thin provisioning will or won't be a major
>> feature in the storage world, though as I saw Veritas already added this
>> feature I was wondering if ZFS has it at least on it's roadmap.
>
> Thin provisioning is absolutely, positively a wonderful, good thing!  The
> question
> is, how does the industry handle the multitude of thin provisioning models,
> each
> layered on top of another? For example, here at the ranch I use VMWare and
> Xen,
> which thinly provision virtual disks. I do this over iSCSI to a server
> running ZFS
> which thinly provisions the iSCSI target.  If I had a virtual RAID array, I
> would
> probably use that, too. Personally, I think being thinner closer to the
> application
> wins over being thinner closer to dumb storage devices (disk drives).

I don't get it - why do we need anything more magic (or complicated)
than support for TRIM from the filesystems and the storage systems?

I don't see why TRIM would be hard to implement for ZFS either,
except that you may want to keep data from a few txgs back just
for safety, which would probably call for some two-stage freeing
of data blocks (those free blocks that are to be TRIMmed, and
those that already are).

/ragge