I'm just wondering what some of you might do with your systems.

We have an EMC Clariion unit that I connect several sun machines to.  I allow
the EMC to do it's hardware raid5 for several luns and then I stripe them
together.  I considered using raidz and just configuring the EMC as a JBOD, but
I thought it would defeat the purpose paying so much for a system with the
advanced redundancy system.  I also like to add luns on the fly when a system
needs more file space and I know you can't do that with raidz.

I've never had a lun go bad but bad things do happen.  Does anyone else use ZFS
in this way?  Is this an unrecommended setup?  It's too late to change my
setup, but in the future when I'm planning new systems, should I consider the
effort to allow zfs fully control all the disks?

Message was edited by: mijohnst