> I disagree that those drives are "good enough".  That particular drive
> uses the dreaded JMicron controller - which has a really bad
> reputation.  And a poor reputation that it *earned* and deserves.
> Even though these drives use a newer revision of the original JMicron
> part (that basically sucks) - this one is *not* much better.  Have a
> look at this recent article from tomshardware.com and you'll see the
> performance characteristics of the 128Gb version of your 64Gb drive.
> And, BTW, usually (nearly always) the larger version of a drive
> performs better than the smaller (versions) of the same drive family.
> Here's the link:
>
> http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/windows-ssd-performance,2518.html
>
> As regards Intels SLC products, the newer version of the x25E product
> will arrive RSN (Real Soon Now) - although no-one knows the exact
> release date.  The new drives will be 50, 100 and 200Gb in size and
> are based on the newer 34nm flash parts (as is the G2 version of the
> x25m).   So I would not recommend purchasing the X25E series until the
> new models are released.

I guess i got some bad advice then
I was told the kingston snv125-s2 used almost the exact same hardware as an
x25-m and should be considered the "poor mans" x25-m

> Someone else suggested the OCZ vertex - again watch out for the lower
> performance of the smaller members of this family.  The 120Gb version
> of that drive has had many positive reviews - but is outside your
> budget.
>
> With a hard $300 budget I'd go with two of the Kingston 40Gb drives I
> posted about on this list (email if you can't find the post).  This
> product is a stripped down Intel x25m - half the flash and half the
> control channels.  Writes are 1/2 of an x25m - but reads are pretty
> good.  Excellent for a boot device and available for just under $100
> each.

Right, i couldn't find any of the 40 gb's in stock so i ordered the 64
gb.....same exact model, only bigger....does your previous statement about
the larger model ssd's not apply to the kingstons?

> If you don't mind going $100 over budget [1], then I'd add a *single*
> Intel x25m 80Gb drive and partition it to experiment with slog and zil
> storage.  Since the *known* failure rates on SSDs are very low, I
> would not be worried with not having mirrored larc.   I'd use the x25m
> to run a set of experiments - as others have suggested.  Since its so
> *fast* to experiment with ZFS - you'll reach solid conclusions after a
> couple of hours of experiments and then decide what you want to do as
> regards using SSDs.  You can always re-purpose the x25m for another
> application.   And if you decide it adds value to your ZFS box, down
> the road you can add a 2nd one and mirror it.
>
> Like i said, i already ORDERED all this stuff....some of it has arrived,
some hasn't

I ordered 3 ssd's...originally had different ideas on how i could use them
but decided that using them as rpool and l2arc wouldn't be a bad
idea....then later (this original thread post) i asked what i could get for
around 300 bucks for ZIL....then someone mentions the ocz drive...I remember
reading a toms hardware article comparing that drive with the kingston drive
i ordered and also a corsair drive saying the kingston was the best for some
things and close on every test.

> Thomas - I think you're over analyzing your ZFS config at this point.
> Like I said - build it and experiment.

This is likely true.  I tend to do this with everything...I'm a tinkerer and
i like to know as much as possible before i start....over analyzing is
something i do with most everything.....i probably spent too much money for
my needs as well....To give you an idea, this "server" originally started as
a 1 tb drive in a celeron..i kept adding new parts and new drives....it
started as linux with a single drive, then moved to xfs on software raid...i
later learned of ZFS but opensolaris wouldn't work on my hardware so i opted
for FreeBSD, i expanded the pool a couple times and now i'm at the point
where i'm droppping more money on stuff to make it work in opensolaris.  I
learned a lot in FreeBSD about ZFS in general....but yah, in all actuality i
would probably be better off waiting till everyhting is here and my server
is running to see if i even NEED this.
I do appreciate the advice though, that's why i subscribe to this list, to
get answers to my nubbish questions and learn from people who know more than
i'll probably ever know about ZFS =)

> [1] and you could always drop one or two data drives.  There's a big
> advantage to only buying the storage capacity you need *right now* -
> since, by deferring the purchase of additional space you need in the
> future, you'll likely be able to purchase higher density, higher
> performance and lower cost-per-gigabyte drives when you do *need* the
> extra storage.
>
> i COULD if they weren't already on the way
I'm ok with what i've got.....i KNOW that spending 400 on an ssd is going to
be the best bet IF i need ZIL

I basically wanted to know if anyone has gotten away with using some cheaper
drives with decent results, what the caveats are  and what would work.

I think i've got most of my answers (though now i feel really bad about my
kingston ssd's....)

PS: For data that you want to mostly archive, consider using Amazon