On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 12:28 PM, Torrey McMahon <tmcmah...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On 1/8/2010 10:04 AM, James Carlson wrote:
>>
>> Mike Gerdts wrote:
>>

>>> This unsupported feature is supported with the use of Sun Ops Center
>>> 2.5 when a zone is put on a "NAS Storage Library".
>>>

>> Ah, ok.  I didn't know that.
>>

> Does anyone know how that works? I can't find it in the docs, no one inside
> of Sun seemed to have a clue when I asked around, etc. RTFM gladly taken.

Storage libraries are discussed very briefly at:

http://wikis.sun.com/display/OC2dot5/Storage+Libraries

Creation of zones is discussed at:

http://wikis.sun.com/display/OC2dot5/Creating+Zones

I've found no documentation that explains the implementation details.
>From looking at a test environment that I have running, it seems to go
like:

1. The storage admin carves out some NFS space and exports it with the
appropriate options to the  various hosts (global zones).

2. In the Ops Center BUI, the ops center admin creates a new storage
library.  He selects type NFS and specifies the hostname and path that
was allocated.

3. The ops center admin associates the storage library with various
hosts.  This causes it to be be mounted at
/var/mnt/virtlibs/<libraryId> on those hosts.  I'll call this $libmnt.

4. When the sysadmin provisions a zone through ops center, a UUID is
allocated and associated with this zone.  I'll call it $zuuid.  A
directory $libmnt/$zuuid is created with a set of directories under
it.

5. As the sysadmin provisions ops center prompts for the virtual disk
size.  A file of that size is created at $libmnt/$zuuid/virtdisk/data.

6. Ops center creates a zpool:

    zpool create -m /var/mnt/oc-zpools/$zuuid/ z$zuuid \
         $libmnt/$zuuid/virtdisk/data

7. The zonepath is created using a uuid that is unique to the zonepath
($puuid) z$zuuid/$puuid.  It has a quota and a reservation set (8G
each in the zpool history I am looking at).

8. The zone is configured with
zonepath=/var/mnt/oc-zpools/$zuuid/$puuid, then installed

Just in case anyone sees this as the right way to do things, I think
it is generally OK with a couple caveats. The key areas that I would
suggest for improvement are:

- Mount the NFS space with -o forcedirectio.  There is no need to
cache data twice.
- Never use UUID's in paths.  This makes it nearly impossible for a
sysadmin or a support person to look at the output of commands on the
system and understand what it is doing.

--
Mike Gerdts
http://mgerdts.blogspot.com/