On 11-Jan-10, at 1:12 PM, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:

On Mon, 11 Jan 2010, Anil wrote:

What is the recommended way to make use of a Hardware RAID controller/HBA along with ZFS?

Many people will recommend against using RAID5 in "hardware" since then zfs is not as capable of repairing errors, and because most RAID5 controller cards use a particular format on the drives so that the drives become tied to the controller brand/model and it is not possible to move the pool to a different system without using an identical controller. If the controller fails and is no longer available for purchase, or the controller is found to have a design defect, then the pool may be toast.

+1 These drawbacks of proprietary RAID are frequently overlooked.

Marty Scholes had a neat summary in a posting here, 21 October 2009:
http://www.mail-archive.com/zfs-discuss@opensolaris.org/msg30452.html

Back when I did storage admin for a smaller company where availability was hyper-critical (but we couldn't afford EMC/ Veritas), we had a hardware RAID5 array. After a few years of service, we ran into some problems:
* Need to restripe the array?  Screwed.
* Need to replace the array because current one is EOL?  Screwed.
* Array controller barfed for whatever reason?  Screwed.
* Need to flash the controller with latest firmware?  Screwed.
* Need to replace a component on the array, e.g. NIC, controller or power supply? Screwed.
* Need to relocate the array?  Screwed.

If we could stomach downtime or short-lived storage solutions, none of this would have mattered.