Dan,

I see now how you might have created this config.

I tried to reproduce this issue by creating a separate pool on another
disk and a volume to attach to my root pool, but my system panics when
I try to attach the volume to the root pool.

This is on Nevada, build 130.

Panic aside, we don't currently recommend building pool components on
top of other pool components because deadlocks can occur.

Cindy