On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 3:44 PM, Mr. T Doodle <tpsdoo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have played with ZFS but not deployed any production systems using ZFS and
> would like some opinions....
> I have a T-series box with 4 internal drives and would like to deploy ZFS
> with availability and performance in mind.... ;)
> What would some recommended configurations be?

How long's a piece of string?

I can tell you what my production systems look like: there's a small (24G or
so) partition on s0, some swap, and then the rest of the space on s7.

Then mirror the first 2 disks slice 0 using SVM (this configuration was devised
before ZFS boot) for the OS; mirror slice 0 on the other two disks for an
alternate root for Live Upgrade.

Then create a couple of mirror vdevs using the remaining space.

So SVM looks like:

d10 -m d11 d12 1
d11 1 1 c1t2d0s0
d12 1 1 c1t3d0s0
d0 -m d1 d2 1
d1 1 1 c1t0d0s0
d2 1 1 c1t1d0s0

and ZFS looks like:

        NAME          STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        storage       ONLINE       0     0     0
          mirror      ONLINE       0     0     0
            c1t0d0s7  ONLINE       0     0     0
            c1t1d0s7  ONLINE       0     0     0
          mirror      ONLINE       0     0     0
            c1t2d0s7  ONLINE       0     0     0
            c1t3d0s7  ONLINE       0     0     0

> Example: use internal RAID controller to mirror boot drives, and ZFS the
> other 2?
> Can I create one pool with the 3 or 4 drives, install Solaris, and use this
> pool for other apps?
> Also, what happens if a drive fails?

Swap it for a new one ;-)

(somewhat more complex with the dual layout as I described it).

--
-Peter Tribble