A poster in another forum mentioned that Seagate (and Hitachi, amongst others) is now selling something labeled as "NearLine SAS" storage (e.g. Seagate's NL35 series).

Is it me, or does this look like nothing more than their standard 7200-rpm enterprise drives with a SAS or FC interface instead of a SATA one?

I can't see any real advantage of those over the existing enterprise SATA drives (e.g. Seagate's Constellation ES series), other than not needing a FC/SAS->SATA gateway in the external drive enclosure.

--
Erik Trimble
Java System Support