On 19/01/2010 19:11, Ian Collins wrote:
Julian Regel wrote:

Based on what I've seen in other comments, you might be right. Unfortunately, I don't feel comfortable backing up ZFS filesystems because the tools aren't there to do it (built into the operating system or using Zmanda/Amanda).

Commercial backup solutions are available for ZFS.
I know tape backup isn't sexy, but it's a reality for many of us and it's not going away anytime soon.

True, but I wonder how viable its future is. One of my clients requires 17 LT04 types for a full backup, which cost more and takes up more space than the equivalent in removable hard drives.

In the past few years growth in hard drive capacities has outstripped tapes to the extent that removable hard drives and ZFS snapshots have become a more cost effective and convenient backup media.

What do people with many tens of TB use for backup these days?

http://milek.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-presentation-at-losug.html

--
Robert Milkowski
http://milek.blogspot.com