On 22/01/10 06:14 AM, Simon Breden wrote:
Thanks a lot for the info James.

For the benefit of myself and others then:
> 1. mpt_sas driver is used for the SuperMicro AOC-USAS2-L8e
> 2. mr_sas driver is used for the SuperMicro AOC-USAS2-L8i and LSI SAS 9211-8i

Correct. I only know the internal chip code names, not what
the actual shipping products are called :|

And how does the maturity/robustness of the mpt_sas&  mr_sas drivers
compare to the mpt driver which I'm currently using for my LSI
1068-based AOC-USAS-L8i card? (in the default IT mode)
It might be hard to answer that one, but I thought I'd ask anyway, as
it would make choosing new kit for OpenSolaris + ZFS a bit easier.

I really don't have any specs re maturity or robustness, sorry,
but I can tell you that

(a) these two drivers were joint development efforts between Sun
    and LSI,

(b) the requirements list that we had for the drivers is extensive,
    [note that MPxIO is on by default with mpt_sas]

(c) we went through an insane amount of testing (and with some
    very rigorous tools) at every stage of the cycle before integration,

and
(d) we're confident that you'll find these drivers and chips to be
    up to the task.

If you do come across problems, please bring it up in storage-discuss
or zfs-discuss, and if necessary file a bug on bugs.opensolaris.org
solaris/driver/mpt-sas, and solaris/driver/mr_sas are the two subcats
that you'll need in that case.

James C. McPherson
--
Senior Kernel Software Engineer, Solaris
Sun Microsystems