I am interested in this as well.

My machine is with 5 gb ram, and will soon have an 80gb SSD device.

My free memory hovers around 750 Mb, and the arc around 3GB.

This machine doesn't do anything other than iSCSI/CIFS, I wouldn't mind using
some extra 500 Mb for caching.

And this becomes especially important if the kernel will need to consume such
large amounts of memory for managing the l2arc.

CPU cache trashing although an important topic is of no importance in such
cases IMO.
i.e. I don't mind my CPU caches to be trashed if I fire up a gnome desktop
occasionally.

But I do mind having 750 Mb of RAM sitting unused.