In the case of a ZVOL with the following settings:

primarycache=off, secondarycache=all

How does the L2ARC get populated if the data never makes it to ARC ? Is this
even a valid configuration?

The reason I ask is I have iSCSI volumes for NTFS, I intend to use an SSD for
l2arc. If something is read from the iSCSI device, then chances are Windows (or
whatever OS) will cache it for a while in its own cache. It is unlikely that
the data will be needed soon (under normal circumstances).

Thus I would like it to avoid polluting the ARC with non-relevant data, but
then the question is, how will that data make it to the L2ARC.