On Sat, January 30, 2010 14:21, Dick Hoogendijk wrote:
> Op 30-1-2010 20:53, Mark schreef:

>> Alternatively, I guess I could add a small USB drive to use solely for
>> the OS<  and then have all of the 2 750 drives for ZFS. Is that a bad
>> idea since the OS drive will be "standalone"?
>>
> Very bad idea. Not safe. ZFS on one disk is asking for trouble.
> Take two smaller disks for the OS (mirrored vdev) and the two larger
> ones as a second vdev (mirrored too)

I don't fully agree with this.

It depends on exactly what kind of fileserver you need (I know the initial
poster specified "home"; that's same as my primary use, and I Have
Opinions :-)).

As always,  you get to trade off cost vs. availability vs. data safety and
no doubt other things in the Big Picture.

One idea I seriously considered is to boot off a USB key.  No online
redundancy (but I'd keep a second loaded key, plus the files to quickly
reimage a new key, handy).  So, in the case of the "system disk" (USB key)
failing on me, I can just pull it out of the slot, plug in the spare, and
reboot.  MTTR = very low, and I could talk my wife through it over the
phone if necessary.

Yes, logging and such will to some extent wear through the write capacity
of the USB key, but I expect it'd last several years, which is enough for
me to not worry about it.

You could do the same with external USB disks (minus the concern about
write-leveling).

My point is, online redundancy for the system disk MAY NOT be nearly as
important as for the data, depending on the exact situation.

Another approach, using just the disks and within the constraint of the
two 750GB disks, is to partition them both the same, and make a root pool
from two small partitions and a data pool from the two large partitions,
thus keeping data and root separate and still providing redundancy to
both, within the two drive constraint.

--
David Dyer-Bennet, d...@dd-b.net; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info