Two things, mostly related, that I'm trying to find answers to for our security
team.

Does this scenario make sense:
* Create a filesystem at /users/nfsshare1, user uses it for a while, asks for
the filesystem to be deleted
* New user asks for a filesystem and is given /users/nfsshare2.  What are the
chances that they could use some tool or other to read unallocated blocks to
view the previous user's data?

Related to that, when files are deleted on a ZFS volume over an NFS share, how
are they wiped out?  Are they zeroed or anything.  Same question for destroying
ZFS filesystems, does the data lay about in any way?  (That's largely answered
by the first scenario.)

If the data is retrievable in any way, is there a way to a) securely destroy a
filesystem, or b) securely erase empty space on a filesystem.

I know in some sense those questions don't apply in the way they would to, say,
ext3, since a filesystem doesn't have a block until a file is written.

Sorry if these questions aren't worded well.  I've been in meetings for the
last couple hours.

-
Cameron Hanover
chano...@umich.edu

"Chaos was the law of nature.  Order was the dream of man."
--Henry Brooks Adams