This sounds more like an install issue than a zfs issue. I suggest you take this to caiman-disc...@opensolaris.org .

Lori

On 02/10/10 23:44, Jeff Rogers wrote:
Thanks for the tip but it was not that. The two hard drives where running under
RAID 1 on my Linux install so the two drives have identical information on them
when I installed OpenSolaris. I disable the hardware RAID support in my BIOS to
install OpenSolaris. Looking at the disk from the still functional linux OS on
the disk it appears that OpenSolaris only formatted some of the partitions to
ZFS. As luck would have it the unformatted ZFS partitions (which are still
EXT3) has the MBR and the rest of the file system to run just fine. Looking at
the partition table under Linux I can see the partitions that are formatted ZFS
as they are shown but not supported with Linux.

Bummer. Looks like I will have to reformat the drives with GParted and
reinstall OpenSolaris. I can not see how a LiveCD of GParted could gain access
to my filesystem before I say it is okay to rewrite the MBR. I suppose this is
a GParted issue and not a OpenSolaris one. I'll go bark up that tree now.

Does anyone have any good pointers of info on OpenSolaris, Postgres with WAL
enabled and ZFS?
I would like to put the WAL files on a different disk than the one with the OS
and Postgres.

Thanks

Jeff