On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 09:50:32AM -0500, Mark J Musante wrote:
> The other option is to zfs send the snapshot to create a copy
> instead of a clone.

One day, in the future, I hope there might be a third option, somewhat
as an optimimsation.

With dedup and bp-rewrite, a new operation could be created that takes
the shared data and makes it uniquely-referenced but deduplicated data.
This could be a lot more efficient and less disruptive because of the
advanced knnowledge that the data must already be the same.

Whether its worth the implementation effort is another issue, but in
the meantime we have plenty of time to try and come up with a sensible
name for it.  "unclone" is too boring :)

--
Dan.