On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 01:45:57PM +0100, Bogdan ?ulibrk wrote:
> One more thing regarding SSD, will be useful to throw in additional
> SAS/SATA drive in to serve as L2ARC? I know SSD is the most logical
> thing to put as L2ARC, but will conventional drive be of *any* help in
> L2ARC?

Only in very particular circumstances. L2ARC is a latency play; for it
to win, you need the l2arc device(s) to be lower latency than the
primary storage, at least for reads.

This usually translates to ssd for lower latency than disk, but can
also work if your data pool has unusually high latency - remote iscsi,
usb, some other odd mostly channel-related configurations.

If the reason your disks have high latency is simply high load, l2arc
on another disk might, maybe, just work to redistribute some of that
load, but it will be a precarious balance, and probably need several
additional disks, perhaps roughly as many as currently in the pool.
By that stage, you're better off just reshaping the pool to use the
extra disks to best effect; mirrors vs raidz, more vdevs, etc.
Managing all that l2arc will take memory, too.

In your case, though, a couple of extra disks dedicated to staging
whatever transform you're doing to the backup files might be
worthwhile, if it will fit.  Even if they make the backup transform
itself slower (unlikely if its predominantly sequential), removing
the contention impact from the primary service could be a net win.

--
Dan.