On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 10:33:26PM -0600, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
> Here's what I've started:  I've created a mirrored pool called rp2 on
> the new disks, and I'm zfs send -R a current snapshot over to the new
> disks.  In fact it just finished.  I've got an altroot set, and
> obviously I gave them a new name so as not to conflict with the existing
> rpool.
>
> I probably lost properties in the zfs send/receive (111b doesn't support
> -p on zfs send).   I suppose I could boot from a LiveCd of something
> more recent and re-do the send/receive with a version that supports -p,
> to save me trouble later reconstructing the properties.

That would be handy, but be careful that rp2 isn't created with a
newer pool version than what you're copying to it can use (ok, since
you already created the pool).

Booting from a livecd also allows you to export both pools, then
import rp2 as "rpool" before exporting it again.  That way, when you
boot, it will have the name "rpool".  This is mostly important for the
name of your swap zvol, but is handy if you prefer to keep things just
the same as before.

> So does anybody have strong opinions about the best, meaning easiest,
> way to do this, remembering that when done I need to import my existing
> data pool and have the user still have access to their data?

Look at the "root pool recovery" processes document I referred to just
this morning.

--
Dan.