On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 23:57, Daniel Carosone <d...@geek.com.au> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 11:39:39PM -0500, Ethan wrote:
> > If slice 2 is the whole disk, why is zpool trying to using slice 8 for
> all
> > but one disk?
>
> Because it's finding at least part of the labels for the pool member there.
>
> Please check the partition tables of all the disks, and use zdb -l on
> the various partitions, to make sure that you haven't got funny
> offsets or other problems hiding the data from import.
>
> In a default solaris label, s2 and s8 start at cylinder 0 but are
> vastly different sizes.  You need to arrange for your labels to match
> however the data you copied got laid out.
>
> > Can I explicitly tell zpool to use slice 2 for each device?
>
> Not for import, only at creation time.  On import, devices are chosen
> by inspection of the zfs labels within.  zdb -l will print those for
> you; when you can see all 4 labels for all devices your import has a
> much better chance of success.
>
> --
> Dan.

How would I go about arranging labels?
I only see labels 0 and 1 (and do not see labels 2 and 3) on every device,
for both slices 8 (which makes sense if 8 is just part of the drive; the zfs
devices take up the whole drive) and slice 2 (which doesn't seem to make
sense to me).

Since only two of the four labels are showing up for each of the drives on
both slice 2 and slice 8, I guess that causes zpool to not have a preference
between slice 2 and slice 8? So it just picks whichever it sees first, which
happened to be slice 2 for one of the drives, but 8 for the others? (I am
really just guessing at this.)

So, on one hand, the fact that it says slice 2 is online for one drive makes
me think that if I could get it to use slice 2 for the rest maybe it would
work.
On the other hand, the fact that I can't see labels 2 and 3 on slice 2 for
any drive (even the one that says it's online) is worrisome and I want to
figure out what's up with that.

Labels 2 and 3 _do_ show up (and look right) in zdb -l running in zfs-fuse
on linux, on the truecrypt volumes.

If it might just be a matter of arranging the labels so that the beginning
and end of a slice are in the right place, that sounds promising, although I
have no idea how I go about arranging labels. Could you point me in the
direction of what utility I might use or some documentation to get me
started in that direction?

Thanks,
-Ethan