Ugh!  If you received a direct response to me instead of via the list,
apologies for
that.

Rob:

I'm just reporting the news.  The RFE is out there.  Just like SLOGs, I
happen to
think it a good idea, personally, but that's my personal opinion.  If it
makes dedup
more usable, I don't see the harm.

Taemun:

The issue, as I understand it, is not "use-lots-of-cpu" or "just dies from
paging".  I
believe it is more to do with all of the small, random reads/writes in
updating the
DDT.

Remember, the DDT is stored within the pool, just as the ZIL is if you don't
have
a SLOG.  (The S in SLOG standing for "separate".)  So all the DDT updates
are in
competition for I/O with the actual data deletion.  If the DDT could be
stored as
a separate VDEV already, I'm sure a way would have been hacked together by
someone (likely someone on this list).  Hence, the need for the RFE to
create this
functionality where it does not currently exist.  The DDT is separate from
the ARC
or L2ARC.

Here's the bug:

http://bugs.opensolaris.org/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6913566

If I'm incorrect, someone please let me know.

Markus:

Yes, the issue would appear to be dataset size vs. RAM size.  Sounds like an
area
ripe for testing, much like RAID Z3 performance.

Cheers all!

--
"You can choose your friends, you can choose the deals." - Equity Private

"If Linux is faster, it's a Solaris bug." - Phil Harman

Blog - http://whatderass.blogspot.com/
Twitter - @khyron4eva