Hi Matt
Are the seeing low speeds on writes only or on both read AND write?

Are you seeing low speed just with iSCSI or also with NFS or CIFS?

> I've tried updating to COMSTAR
> (although I'm not certain that I'm actually using it)

To check, do this:

  # svcs -a | grep iscsi

If 'svc:/system/iscsitgt:default' is online,
you are using the old & mature 'user mode' iscsi target.

If 'svc:/network/iscsi/target:default' is online,
then you are using the new 'kernel mode' comstar iscsi target.

For another good way to monitor disk i/o, try:

  # iostat -xndz 1

  http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/819-2240/iostat-1m?a=view

Don't just assume that your Ethernet & IP & TCP layer
are performing to the optimum - check it.

I often use 'iperf' or 'netperf' to do this:

  http://blogs.sun.com/observatory/entry/netperf

(Iperf is available by installing the SUNWiperf package.
A package for netperf is in the contrib repository.)

The last time I checked, the default values used
in the OpenSolaris TCP stack are not optimum
for Gigabit speed, and need to be adjusted.
Here is some advice, I found with Google, but
there are others:

http://serverfault.com/questions/13190/what-are-good-speeds-for-iscsi-and-nfs-over-1gb-ethernet

BTW, what sort of network card are you using,
as this can make a difference.

Regards
Nigel Smith