On 19 feb 2010, at 23.20, Ross Walker wrote:

> On Feb 19, 2010, at 4:57 PM, Ragnar Sundblad <ra...@csc.kth.se> wrote:
>

>> On 18 feb 2010, at 13.55, Phil Harman wrote:

>>> Whilst the latest bug fixes put the world to rights again with respect to
>>> correctness, it may be that some of our performance workaround are still
>>> unsafe (i.e. if my iSCSI client assumes all writes are synchronised to
>>> nonvolatile storage, I'd better be pretty sure of the failure modes before
>>> I work around that).
>>
>> But are there any clients that assume that an iSCSI volume is synchronous?
>>
>> Isn't an iSCSI target supposed to behave like any other SCSI disk
>> (pSCSI, SAS, FC, USB MSC, SSA, ATAPI, FW SBP...)?
>> With that I mean: A disk which understands SCSI commands with an
>> optional write cache that could be turned off, with cache sync
>> command, and all those things.
>> Put in another way, isn't is the OS/file systems responsibility to
>> use the SCSI disk responsibly regardless of the underlying
>> protocol?
>
> That was my argument a while back.
>
> If you use /dev/dsk then all writes should be asynchronous and WCE should be
> on and the initiator should issue a 'sync' to make sure it's in NV storage,
> if you use /dev/rdsk all writes should be synchronous and WCE should be off.
> RCD should be off in all cases and the ARC should cache all it can.
>
> Making COMSTAR always start with /dev/rdsk and flip to /dev/dsk if the
> initiator flags write cache is the wrong way to go about it. It's more
> complicated then it needs to be and it leaves setting the storage policy up
> to the system admin rather then the storage admin.
>
> It would be better to put effort into supporting FUA and DPO options in the
> target then dynamically changing a volume's cache policy from the initiator
> side.

But wouldn't the most disk like behavior then be to implement all the
FUA, DPO, cache mode page, flush cache, etc, etc, have COMSTAR implement
a cache just like disks do, maybe have a user knob to set the cache size
(typically 32 MB or so on modern disks, could probably be used here too
as a default), and still use /dev/rdsk devices?

That could seem, in my naive limited little mind and humble opinion, as
a pretty good approximation of how real disks work, and no OS should have
to be more surprised than usual of how a SCSI disk works.

Maybe COMSTAR already does this, or parts of it?

Or am I wrong?

/ragge