On Wed, 24 Feb 2010, Steve wrote:

The overhead I was thinking of was more in the pointer structures... (bearing in mind this is a 128 bit file system), I would guess that memory requirements would be HUGE for all these files...otherwise arc is gonna struggle, and paging system is going mental....?

It is not reasonable to assume that zfs has to retain everything in memory.

I have a directory here containing a million files and it has not caused any strain for zfs at all although it can cause considerable stress on applications.

400 million tiny files is quite a lot and I would hate to use anything but mirrors with so many tiny files.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn