On Thu, 25 Feb 2010, Shane Cox wrote:

I'm new to ZFS and looking for some assistance with a performance problem:

At the interval of zfs_txg_timeout (I'm using the default of 30), I observe
100-200ms
pauses in my application.  Based on my application log files, it appears that
the
write() system call is blocked.  Digging deeper into the problem with DTrace, I

If you check the forum archives you will find quite a few long discussion threads about this issue. I initiated at least one of them.

When zfs writes a transaction group there will be a stall in an application which writes continuously. The main thing you can do is to adjust zfs tunables to limit the size of a transaction group, or to increase the frequency of transaction group commits. One such tunable is

  zfs:zfs_write_limit_override

set in /etc/system.

Bob
--