I'm finally at the point of adding an SSD to my system, so I can get reasonable dedup performance.

The question here goes to sizing of the SSD for use as an L2ARC device.

Noodling around, I found Richard's old posing on ARC->L2ARC memory requirements, which is mighty helpful in making sure I don't overdo the L2ARC side.

(http://www.mail-archive.com/zfs-discuss@opensolaris.org/msg34677.html)

What I haven't found is a reasonable way to determine how big I'll need an L2ARC to fit all the relevant data for dedup. I've seen several postings back in Jan about this, and there wasn't much help, as was acknowledged at the time.

What I'm after is exactly what needs to be stored extra for DDT? I'm looking at the 200-byte header in ARC per L2ARC entry, and assuming that is for all relevant info stored in the L2ARC, whether it's actual data or metadata. My question is this: the metadata for a slab (record) takes up how much space? With DDT turned on, I'm assuming that this metadata is larger than with it off (or, is it the same now for both)?

There has to be some way to do a back-of-the-envelope calc that says (X) pool size = (Y) min L2ARC size = (Z) min ARC size

--
Erik Trimble
Java System Support