Freddie: I think you understand my intent correctly.

This is not about a perfect backup system. The point is that I have hundreds of
DVDs that I don't particularly want to sort out, but they are pretty useless
from a management standpoint in their current form. ZFS + dedup would be the
way to at least get them all in one place, where at least I can search,
etc.---which is pretty much impossible on a stack of disks.

I also don't want file-level dedup, as a lot of these disks are a "oh, it's the
end of the day; I'm going to burn what I worked on today, so if my computer
dies I won't be completely stuck on this project..." File-level dedup would be
a nightmare to sort out, because of lots of incremental changes---exactly the
point of block-level dedup.

This is not an organized archive at all; I just want to consolidate a bunch of
old disks, in the small case they could be useful, and do it without investing
much time.

So does anyone know of an autoloader solution that would do this?