On Mar 10, 2010, at 4:18 PM, Chris Banal wrote:
> What is the best way to tell if your bound by the number of individual
> operations per second / random io?

If no other resource is the bottleneck :-)

> "zpool iostat" has an "operations" column but this doesn't really tell me if
> my disks are saturated. Traditional "iostat" doesn't seem to be the greatest
> place to look when utilizing zfs.

Observe the relationship between iops and asvc_t. You want your
asvc_t to be as low as possible.  HDDs are not well modeled by a
simple queue, which is what iostat shows.  There are some SSDs,
like the DDRdrive X1, which are well modeled by a simple queue
(and are blazing fast :-).  For HDDs look for asvc_t well below 15 ms
and for SSDs look for asvc_t less than 1 ms.  Note: iostat will only
show 0.1 ms resolution, which doesn't work so well for fast SSDs :-)

If you want to dig farther, there are some dtrace tools which will show
spatial distribution, size, queue depths, and pretty much anything
else you can think of.
 -- richard

ZFS storage and performance consulting at http://www.RichardElling.com
ZFS training on deduplication, NexentaStor, and NAS performance
http://nexenta-atlanta.eventbrite.com (March 16-18, 2010)