On Sun, March 14, 2010 13:54, Frank Middleton wrote:

> How can it even be remotely possible to get a checksum failure on mirrored
> drives
> with copies=2? That means all four copies were corrupted? Admittedly this
> is
> on a grotty PC with no ECC and flaky bus parity, but how come the same
> file always
> gets flagged as being clobbered (even though apparently it isn't).
>
> The oddest part is that libdlpi.so.1 doesn't actually seem to be
> corrupted. nm lists
> it with no problem and you can copy it to /tmp, rename it, and then copy
> it back.
> objdump and readelf can all process this library with no problem. But "pkg
> fix"
> flags an error in it's own inscrutable way. CCing pkg-discuss in case a
> pkg guru
> can shed any light on what the output of "pkg fix" (below) means.
> Presumably libc
> is OK, or it wouldn't boot :-).

This sounds really bizarre.

One detail suggestion on checking what's going on (since I don't have a
clue towards a real root-cause determination): Get an md5sum on a clean
copy of the file, say from a new install or something, and check the
allegedly-corrupted copy against that.  This can fairly easily give you a
pretty reliable indication if the file is truly corrupted or not.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, d...@dd-b.net; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info