On Mon, March 15, 2010 15:35, Svein Skogen wrote:

> On 15.03.2010 21:13, no...@euphoriq.com wrote:
>> Wow.  I never thought about it.  I changed the power supply to a cheap
>> one a while back (a now seemingly foolish effort to save money) - it
>> could be the issue.  I'll change it back and let you know.
>
> "cheap" powersupplies rarely are.  ;)

I've had all types fail on me.  I think I've had more power supplies than
disk drives fail on me, even.

And they can produce the most *amazing* range of symptoms, if they don't
fail completely.  Quite remarkable.

> It's been my experience that if you "overengineer" the psu a bit, the
> efficiency of the PSU increases (it's no longer pushing 100% of its
> rated spec) and actually the consumed power (on the 220v side) drops.

Strangely enough, running up to the limit is hard on components, yes.

--
David Dyer-Bennet, d...@dd-b.net; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info