On 17.03.2010 12:28, Khyron wrote:
> [...]
>
> Has anyone successfully used NDMP support with ZFS?  If so, what did you
> do?  How
> did you configure your system, including any custom coding you did?
> From the looks
> of the NDMP project on os.org <http://os.org>, NDMP was integrated in
> build 102[3] but it appears
> to only be NDMP v4 not the latest, v5.  Maybe NDMP support would placate
> some of
> those screaming for the send stream to be a tape backup format?
>
> As for ACLs[2], the list of tools supporting NFS v4 ACLs seems to be
> pretty small.  I
> plan to spend some quality time with RFC 3530 to get my head around NFS
> v4, and
> ACLs in particular.  star seems to be fairly adept, with the exception
> of the NFS v4
> ACL support.  Hopefully that is forthcoming?  Again, I think those
> people who are
> not using ZFS ACLs can probably perform actual tape backups (should they
> choose
> to) with existing tools.  If I'm mistaken or missing something, I invite
> someone to
> please point it out.
>
> Finally, there's backup of ZVOLs.  I don't know what the commercial tool
> support
> for backing up ZVOLs looks like but I know this is the *perfect* place
> for NDMP.
> Backing up ZVOLs should be priority #1 for NDMP support in
> (Open)Solaris, I think.
> Looking through the symbols in libzfs.so, I don't see anything
> specifically related to
> backup of ZVOLs in the existing code.  How are people handling ZVOL backups
> today?
>
> Not to be too flip, but star looks like it might be the perfect tape
> backup software
> if it supported NDMP, NFS v4 ACLs and ZVOLs.  Just thinking out loud...
>
> [1]
> http://www.solarisinternals.com/wiki/index.php/ZFS_Best_Practices_Guide#Using_ZFS_With_Enterprise_Backup_Solutions
>
> [2] http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/819-5461/ftyxi?l=en&a=view
> <http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/819-5461/ftyxi?l=en&a=view>
>
> [3] http://hub.opensolaris.org/bin/view/Project+ndmp/
>
> Aside: I see so many posts to this list about backup strategy for ZFS
> file systems,
> and I continue to be amazed by how few people check the archives for
> previous
> discussions before they start a new one.  So many of the conversations are
> repeated over and over, with good information being spread over multiple
> threads?
> I personally find it interesting that so few people read first before
> posting.  Few
> even seem to bother to do so much (little?) as a Google search which
> would yield
> several previous discussions on the topic of ZFS pool backups to tape.

How does backing up the NFSv4 acls help you backup up a zvol (shared for
iSCSI)? Please enlighten me.

//Svein

- --
- --------+-------------------+-------------------------------
  /"\   |Svein Skogen       | sv...@d80.iso100.no
  \ /   |Solberg Østli 9    | PGP Key:  0xE5E76831
   X    |2020 Skedsmokorset | sv...@jernhuset.no
  / \   |Norway             | PGP Key:  0xCE96CE13
        |                   | sv...@stillbilde.net
 ascii  |                   | PGP Key:  0x58CD33B6
 ribbon |System Admin       | svein-listm...@stillbilde.net
Campaign|stillbilde.net     | PGP Key:  0x22D494A4
        |msn messenger:     | Mobile Phone: +47 907 03 575
        |sv...@jernhuset.no | RIPE handle:    SS16503-RIPE
         If you really are in a hurry, mail me at
               svein-mob...@stillbilde.net
 This mailbox goes directly to my cellphone and is checked
        even when I'm not in front of my computer.
                     Picture Gallery:
          https://gallery.stillbilde.net/v/svein/