On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 07:35, Robin Axelsson
<gu99r...@student.chalmers.se>wrote:

> I've been informed that newer versions of ZFS supports the usage of hot
> spares which is denoted for drives that are not in use but available for
> resynchronization/resilvering should one of the original drives fail in the
> assigned storage pool.

That is the definition of a hot spare, at least informally.  ZFS has
supported
this for some time (if not from the beginning; I'm not in a position to
answer
that).  It is *not* new.

> I'm a little sceptical about this because even the hot spare will be
> running for the same duration as the other disks in the pool and therefore
> will be exposed to the same levels of hardware degradation and failures
> unless it is put to sleep during the time it is not being used for storage.
> So, is there a sleep/hibernation/standby mode that the hot spares operate in
> or are they on all the time regardless of whether they are in use or not?

Not that I am aware of or have heard others report.  No such "sleep mode"
exists.  Sounds like you want a Copan storage system.  AFAIK, hot spares
are always spinning, that's why they are hot.

> Usually the hot spare is on a not so well-performing SAS/SATA controller,
> so given the scenario of a hard drive failure upon which a hot spare has
> been used for resilvering of say a raidz2 cluster, can I move the resilvered
> hot spare to the faster controller by letting it take the faulty hard
> drive's space using the "zpool offline", "zpool online" commands?

Usually?  That's not my experience, from multiple vendors hardware RAID
arrays.  Usually it's on a channel used by storage disks.  Maybe someone
else has seen otherwise.  I'd be personally curious to know what system
puts a spare on a lower performance channel.  That risks slowing the entire
device (RAID set/group) when the hot spare kicks in.

As for your questions, that doesn't make a lot of sense to me.  I don't even

get how that would work, but I'm not "Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius" either.

> To be more general; are the hard drives in the pool "hard coded" to their
> SAS/SATA channels or can I swap their connections arbitrarily if I would
> want to do that? Will zfs automatically identify the association of each
> drive of a given pool or tank and automatically reallocate them to put the
> pool/tank/filesystem back in place?

No.  Each disk in the pool has a unique ID, as I understand.  Thus, you
should be able to move a disk to another location (channel, slot) and it
would still be a part of the same pool and VDEV.

All of that said, I saw this post when it originally came in.  I notice no
one has
responded to it until now.  I don't know about anyone else, but I know that
was offended when I read this.  I know for myself, I wasn't sure how to take

this when I read it.

Maybe you should not assume that people on this list don't know what
hot sparing is, or that ZFS just learned.  Just a suggestion.

--
"You can choose your friends, you can choose the deals." - Equity Private

"If Linux is faster, it's a Solaris bug." - Phil Harman

Blog - http://whatderass.blogspot.com/
Twitter - @khyron4eva