> It would appear that the bus bandwidth is limited to about 10MB/sec
> (~80Mbps) which is well below the theoretical 400Mbps that 1394 is
> supposed to be able to handle.  I know that these two disks can go
> significantly higher since I was seeing 30MB/sec when they were used on
> Macs previously in the same daisy-chain configuration.

I have not done 1394 in solaris or opensolaris.  But I have used it in
windows, mac, and Linux.  Many times for each one.  I never have even the
remotest problem with it in any of these other platforms.  I consider it
more universally reliable, even than USB, because occasionally I see a bad
USB driver on some boot CD or something, which can only drive USB around
11Mbit.  Again, I've never had anything but decent performance out of 1394.

Generally speaking, I use 1394 on:
Dell laptops
Lenovo laptops
Apple laptops