On Mar 25, 2010, at 2:45 PM, John Bonomi wrote:

> I'm sorry if this is not the appropriate place to ask, but I'm a student and
> for an assignment I need to be able to show at the hex level how files and
> their attributes are stored and referenced in ZFS. Are there any resources
> available that will show me how this is done?

IMHO the best place to start with this level of analysis is the ZFS on-disk
specification doc:
http://hub.opensolaris.org/bin/download/Community+Group+zfs/docs/ondiskformat0822.pdf

It is getting long in the tooth and doesn't document recent features, but
it is fundamentally correct.
 -- richard

ZFS storage and performance consulting at http://www.RichardElling.com
ZFS training on deduplication, NexentaStor, and NAS performance
Las Vegas, April 29-30, 2010 http://nexenta-vegas.eventbrite.com