On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 06:38:47PM -0400, David Magda wrote:
> A new ARC case:

I read this earlier this morning.  Welcome news indeed!

I have some concerns about the output format, having worked with
similar requirements in the past. In particular: as part of the
monotone VCS when reporting workspace changes and also as a consumer
of similar-purpose output from rsync when building backup catalog
databases of what changed each run.

I'm not familiar with the ARC process; where should these concerns be
directed so as to make a difference? [pun only slightly intended]

At the risk of prompting discussion here rather than the right
place.. These relate in several ways to the use of the name as the
only identifier.

For example, it's not clear that the proposed output lets
me tell which new filenames are new links to which existing file, or
even whether added file names are new files or just new links.

There will also need to be clear rules on output ordering, with
respect to renames, where multiple changes have happened to renamed
files.

Some of these concerns might be better addressed with clearer examples
/ use cases.  Consider the commmon case of a file having been replaced
with another: say, an editor that renames the old file and creates and
rewrites a new file with the same name. It may remove the old, or keep
it as a "backup" and maybe delete the previous backup. Would this be
reported as a series of renames and adds and deletes (tracking the
node), or merely as a content change (tracking the name)? Now consider
that the file may have had links.

I'm concerned that the proposed output format does not represent this
and similar cases well.  I realise it's not intended to convey all of
the details of what changed, merely to flag which files should be
checked for further information.

I also think distinguishing content-change from attribute-change
(e.g. chmod/chown) would be highly useful to potential consumers.

--
Dan.