On Mar 29, 2010, at 1:10 PM, F. Wessels wrote:
> Hi,
>
> as Richard Elling wrote earlier:
> "For more background, low-cost SSDs intended for the boot market are
> perfect candidates. Take a X-25V @ 40GB and use 15-20 GB for root
> and the rest for an L2ARC. For small form factor machines or machines
> with max capacity of 8GB of RAM (a typical home system) this can make a
> pleasant improvement over a HDD-only implementation."
>
> For the upcoming 2010.03 release and now testing with a b134.
> What is the most appropiate way to accomplish this?

The most appropriate (supportable by Oracle) is to use the automated
installer.  An example of the manifest is:
http://dlc.sun.com/osol/docs/content/dev/AIinstall/customai.html#ievtoc

> The caiman installer allows you to control the size of the partition on the
> boot disk but it doesn't allow you (at least I couldn't figure out how) to
> control the size of the slices. So you end with slice0 filling the entire
> partition.
> Now this leaves you with two options, create a second partition or start a
> complex process of backing up the root pool, reslicing the first partition,
> restore the root pool and pray that the system will boot again.
> I tried the first, knowing that multiple partitions isn't recommended. I
> couldn't get zfs to add the second partition as L2ARC. It simply said that it
> wasn't supported.
> Before I try the second option perhaps somebody can give some directions
> howto accomplish a shared rpool and l2arc on a (ss)disk.

There are perhaps a half dozen ways to do this.  As others have mentioned,
using fdisk partitions can be done and is particularly easy when using the
text-based installer. However, with that option you need a smarter partition
editor than fdisk (eg. gparted)

And, of course, you can fake out the installer altogether... or even change the
source code...
 -- richard

ZFS storage and performance consulting at http://www.RichardElling.com
ZFS training on deduplication, NexentaStor, and NAS performance
Las Vegas, April 29-30, 2010 http://nexenta-vegas.eventbrite.com