>>>>> "re" == Richard Elling <richard.ell...@gmail.com> writes:

    re> # ptime zdb -S zwimming Simulated DDT histogram:
    re>  refcnt   blocks   LSIZE   PSIZE   DSIZE   blocks   LSIZE   PSIZE
DSIZE
    re>   Total    2.63M    277G    218G    225G    3.22M    337G    263G
270G

    re>        in-core size = 2.63M * 250 = 657.5 MB

Thanks, that is really useful!  It'll probably make the difference
between trying dedup and not, for me.

It is not working for me yet.  It got to this point in prstat:

  6754 root     2554M 1439M sleep   60    0   0:03:31 1.9% zdb/106

and then ran out of memory:

 $ pfexec ptime zdb -S tub
 out of memory -- generating core dump

I might add some swap I guess.  I will have to try it on another
machine with more RAM and less pool, and see how the size of the zdb
image compares to the calculated size of DDT needed.  So long as zdb
is the same or a little smaller than the DDT it predicts, the tool's
still useful, just sometimes it will report ``DDT too big but not sure
by how much'', by coredumping/thrashing instead of finishing.