On Mon, Apr 05, 2010 at 06:32:13PM -0700, Learner Study wrote:
> I'm wondering what is the correct flow when both raid5 and de-dup are
> enabled on a storage volume....
>
> I think we should do de-dup first and then raid5 ... is that
> understanding correct?

Not really.  Strictly speaking, ZFS doesn't do raid5 - assuming you
mean one of the raidz levels, pools can be created by assembling disks
into one or more raidz groups.  Dedup is then performed within the
pool, and enabled at a dataset (filesystem) granularity.

If you have raid5 in a san or hw controller, you might build a pool on
top of the LUNs it presents, and again apply dedup within that pool.

--
Dan.