On 07/04/2010 13:58, Ragnar Sundblad wrote:

Rather: ...>=19 would be ... if you don't mind loosing data written
the ~30 seconds before the crash, you don't have to mirror your log
device.

For a file server, mail server, etc etc, where things are stored
and supposed to be available later, you almost certainly want
redundancy on your slog too. (There may be file servers where
this doesn't apply, but they are special cases that should not
be mentioned in the general documentation.)

While I agree with you I want to mention that it is all about understanding a risk. In this case not only your server has to crash in such a way so data has not been synced (sudden power loss for example) but there would have to be some data committed to a slog device(s) which was not written to a main pool and when your server restarts your slog device would have to completely die as well.

Other than that you are fine even with unmirrored slog device.

--
Robert Milkowski
http://milek.blogspot.com