Daniel Bakken wrote:
Here is the info from zstreamdump -v on the sending side:

BEGIN record
        hdrtype = 2
        features = 0
        magic = 2f5bacbac
        creation_time = 0
        type = 0
        flags = 0x0
        toguid = 0
        fromguid = 0
        toname = promise1/arch...@daily.1

nvlist version: 0
        tosnap = daily.1
        fss = (embedded nvlist)
        nvlist version: 0
                0xcfde021e56c8fc = (embedded nvlist)
                nvlist version: 0
                        name = promise1/archive
                        parentfromsnap = 0x0
                        props = (embedded nvlist)
                        nvlist version: 0
                                mountpoint = /promise1/archive
                                compression = 0xa
                                dedup = 0x2
                        (end props)

I assume that compression = 0xa means gzip.

Yep, that's ZIO_COMPRESS_GZIP_6, the default gzip.

I wonder if the dedup property is causing the receiver (build 111b) to disregard all other properties, since the receiver doesn't support dedup. Dedup was enabled in the past on the sending filesystem, but is now disabled for reasons of sanity.

Now I remember that 'zfs receive' used to give up after the first property it failed to set. If I'm remembering correctly, then, in this case, if the mountpoint was invalid on the receive side, 'zfs receive' would not even try to set the remaining properties.

You could try 'zfs get mountpoint' (or 'zdb -vvv poolname > file' and search the file for 'mountpoint') to see if that was set.

I'd like to try the dtrace debugging, but it would destroy the progress I've made so far transferring the filesystem.

Maybe you could try receiving into a new pool that you can later throw away.

zpool create bogustestpool c0t0d0
zfs send -R promise1/arch...@daily.1 | zfs receive -vd bogustestpool

I'd try the following in the source dataset:

zfs inherit mountpoint promise1/archive

to clear the explicit mountpoint and prevent it from being included in the send stream. Later set it back the way it was. (Soon there will be an option to take care of that; see CR 6883722 want 'zfs recv -o prop=value' to set initial property values of received dataset.) Then see if you receive the compression property successfully.

Tom